Feedback Thoughts: Overcoming Negative Mindsets

I tend to be very hard on myself. I am a perfectionist to a T. When something doesn't go right or how I planned, then everything starts to fall apart. I set high goals and then get disappointing when I just barely miss them. Whats even more maddening, I reach theses goals but I feel like I could have done better if...

When I saw the articles about self-doubt and being self-critical, I knew they were ones I needed to read.

In Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt, Spencer discusses how the mindset you have is what can lead to crippling self-doubt. I think this is my issue. I stay in a negative or fixed mindset when I fail and then I become afraid to utilize that more positive or growth mindset the next time around. I also compare myself to others too much, I mean who doesn't? My psychology courses have taught me that it is a seemingly automatic thing we do. I also don't trust myself enough. Even when I know I've prepared well, or even when I do meet that goal, I don't believe in my skills or success.. they are not good enough. I think this article opened my eyes to see that if I can start to shift my mindset, not only will I see more success and be less afraid of failure, but I will become more creative and vulnerable as well.

In A Simple 5-Second Habit to Rewire Your Harshly Self-Critical Brain, Almeida outlines a quick way in which I would be able to gradually switch my mindset. It focuses on congratulating yourself when you accomplish something small that leads you to your large goal. This helps you overcome failure or mistakes by focusing on how you overcome them then focusing on the failed act itself. This also acts as a motivating factor. Instead of feeling bad about yourself, you feel invigorated to get back up and try again. I think I will take some time to outline some smaller goals for this semester and see if this tip can become a habit.

(Image from Feedback Cats)

I think feedback is a very important part of life. We face so many different challenges on a daily basis and we will never truly know how we are doing unless we get some sort of feedback. Feedback is how we adapt and grow. Feedback grants us a way to consistently improve. However, I think feedback should be given in appropriate ways, especially if the person on the receiving end could take it negatively.

Feedback should be given in an appropriate time limit. If the feedback is given too far after the fact, it is hard for that person to understand and make changes to their behavior. Feedback also needs to be reliable. If you are given feedback that isn't accurate, it isn't truly helpful, you still don't know how to improve. Finally, I think feedback should always try to be sandwiched. Find something they did well, focus on what they need to improve, and then either help them establish those ways to improve, or find another positive form of feedback. This helps reduce negative thinking and feelings and can really promote the growth that is intended.

Comments

Popular Posts