Introduction: A Snapshot of Me

Welcome one and all to a brief snapshot of AshLynn. First, the basics: 
I am a senior so this is my LAST semester of undergrad (Time really does fly)! I'm majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish. I just recently sent off all my applications to law school, so the waiting game has begun. I am relieved to be done with the LSAT (the worst test ever... don't do it) and patiently... or not so patiently.. waiting for the results that, honestly, determine my future.

Now, the fun stuff:
One of the best things about me is that I currently live with 4 dogs. I am and always have been an animal lover. If I wasn't so squeamish about blood and all the gross things that come with being a veterinarian, that would have been my dream job. Not to mention the emotions that come with that job... it would be extremely taxing. So, I chose the next best thing, an attorney (talk about stressful). I am hopeful to find my place in either Innocence project work, representing children, or maybe in immigration. All of these areas allow me to give a voice to those who are silenced and protect those who are unable to protect themselves, something I value greatly.

Alright, back to the dogs... The first two are my mom's dogs: Nala, an Australian Shepard, and Dublin, an American Staffordshire Terrier (aka a fancy pit bull).

(Personal Photo of Dublin and Nala Snuggling, 
Photo from Aug 2019)

The next two are my mom's wife's: Lotus, a rescue mutt, and Mijo, a Maltese.

 (Personal Photo of dogs at Christmas, 
Photo from Dec 2019)

(Personal Photo of Mijo in his cute shoes, 
Photo from Dec 2019)

4 dogs can definitely be a handful, and maddening at times, but they keep life interesting and very happy.
(Personal Video of Dublin falling off the hammock, 
Video from July 2019)

I used to have a lot of active hobbies, and then I got to college and became lazy. I danced my whole life and I kept up with it now and then throughout my undergrad, but nothing serious like when I was younger. I also played basketball for a large chunk of my life but it wasn't something I wanted to continue past high school.

The hobbies I have kept up with are more relaxing.. and time consuming. I love movies. My favorite days are when I can just stay in bed and watch movies. I also enjoy reading. I used to hate reading, but I eventually found a genre and specific authors that I can get lost in, so leisure reading happens when I need a break from life. I'm trying to finish an awesome trilogy right now by Justin Cronin, I highly recommend it if "end of the world" type books suit your fancy (The first book is The Passage). I'm also your typical Netflix, Hulu, etc. binge watcher. I just finished You season 2, what a show. I also consistently re-watch Parks and Rec, Gossip Girl, Game of Thrones, and This is Us. As I mentioned in my Storybook favorites post, I am a sucker for reality TV. Something about the unnecessary life drama is very entertaining. I also like reality shows like Big Brother and So You Think You Can Dance where people compete or show off their talents. As for music, I listen to a little bit of everything. My all time favorite however, is the Jonas Brothers.. (Yes.. I will be judged for that), but they're really great. Their new comeback album is phenomenal.. I'm not just a teenage fan girl.. go see them live.
(Personal Photo of my friend and I at the 
Jo Bros concert, Photo from Sept 2019)

I guess the last thing that's important in this snapshot is that I am a curious person. I appreciate learning and I have a drive to know the "why" behind things. I am fascinated by how things work, why things do what they do, and how they came to those decisions. This was obviously a big factor in my major choice. From this curiosity breeds persistence, I won't give up until I have achieved my goals.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you this semester!

Update:

For those of you who have wished me well in my law school waiting game, here is a little update. I received the score I wanted.. and so badly needed.. on the LSAT! I have heard good news from 3 out of the 4 schools I applied to. The waiting game is almost over! Thanks for all the words of support! I will soon be on to the part of the process where I have to make a decision... and I am horrible at making decisions. Any awesome advice on decision-making strategies is welcomed!


Comments

  1. Oh, AshLynn, what a wonderful time, sharing your life with four dogs in the house. Fabulous! And thank you for sharing all the cute pix and even a video. You made me curious about Justin Cronin, so I looked him up: horror and science fiction... those are genres that resonate with this class in all kinds of cool ways! When you browse the Storybooks (if you see this comment before you do!), take a look at this one from last semester; it is a really cool kind of scifi-horror project: A Trickster's Tales. And I completely vote for the combination of curiosity AND the law! I hope you will get good news about the LSAT and end up at the law school of your choice where you can begin another great learning adventure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AshLynn!

    Thanks for attempting to be a lawyer! Someone has to do it and it could never be me! I am an accounting major (someone has to be a CPA too haha) and I have taken law classes and they are so DIFFICULT to me. There's nothing wrong with watching movies and reading books. I used to read so much! But I find it difficult to make the time in college, I just want to hangout with my friends, especially as I am finishing up school. Enjoy your last semester and I hope you get into the law school you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi AshLynn! I'm so impressed with you going through all of that stress to work towards becoming a lawyer. My best friend graduated from OU last year and went on to Berkeley for her JD and watching her go through all of that, with the LSAT and the applications and everything, I think it took several years off my life just to watch it... the Innocence Project is actually a really amazing organization, and I think it says a lot about you as a person that you'd like to work with them.
    I also just want to say I love all of your dogs and would die for any one of them. I'm a huge dog lover, too. My boyfriend and I have a husky puppy together (go on over to my blog is you want to see some pics), but unfortunately they're both in Mexico, so I am definitely jealous that you get to be around yours all the time!
    Good luck with your law school applications, and I hope your last semester isn't too stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey AshLynn!

    Wow you have done so much and on the path to accomplish so much more! It is truly an exciting and nerve wracking time on waiting to hear back from law schools. Fingers crossed everything goes as you hope! I completely agree with you that once college starts everything is put on the back burner and you have to put school readings before you can read for fun. I am so looking forward to time after this semester when I can read for fun before bed instead of a textbook. Good luck on your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi AshLynn!

    I'm excited to meet another Psychology major! While we may be going to different routes after undergrad, it's nice to know that someone with knowledge of psychology is going into law. I have a love for cognitive processes , emotion, and emotive actions. I am particularly interested in the ways in which people lie and the ways in which they attempt to hide their lying. Maybe someday the research I do will be helpful in the courtroom! You dogs look amazing,; they make me miss my own dog who sadly passed away a few years ago. Don't forget to cherish your time with them! I wish you the best of luck with your future and with your LSAT results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ashlynn!

    Man, two of my coworkers spent last year stressing about and constantly studying for the LSAT and now they are both also in the waiting game for law school apps. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get into your dream school! Also, I totally agree with the vet thing. I cannot stand blood or pretty much any of the stuff vets/doctors have to do, or I think it would've been a great career path for me as well. Thanks for sharing your pet pics, so cute!

    -Jana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey AshLynn!
    It is great to meet you! First off, I am super jealous that you got to go to the Jonas Brothers concert! How cool! Also, I am so sorry that you are having to experience the dreadful wait for your LSAT exam results, I honestly feel for you. On the flip side, at least you are in your last semester of school! I still have a full year left and I am terrified of what life outside of school is going to look like for me, props to you for graduating this semester though! Good luck with your test results.
    Best wishes
    Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi AshLynn,

    You are so lucky to be able to live in a house with four dogs. That would be like a dream come true for me. Congratulations on being in your last semester of undergrad, that is a big accomplishment. I am majoring in Speech Pathology with my minor in Psychology. I loved staying in on rainy days and just binge watching shows on Netflix. Gossip Girl is one of my favorites as well, I have seen it all the way through more times than I can even count.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi AshLynn,

    As someone who originally came to OU to become a lawyer, I admire your commitment to dealing with the stress that comes with that profession, and I hope that you get good news with your LSAT results! Also I absolutely love your dogs and would literally do anything for them, and I'm definitely jealous as I hope to be able to have my own dogs one day (pet deposits are ridiculous!).

    Good luck on your last semester!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to meet you, AshLynn!

    I've actually been looking for recommendations for a new book series, so I'll have to check out The Passage. Also, the dog photos were amazing! Living with 4 dogs sounds like it will never let you have a dull moment. I only have one, and American Eskimo/Spitz, but he keeps me busy enough when I go home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey AshLynn!

    I also love dystopian novels and watching movies. There's nothing better than wasting a whole afternoon binge watching shows on Netflix. Also, your dogs are utterly adorable! I only have half as many as you, but I think they are all cute. I have a four year old lab named Boomer and a 2 year old rescue mix named Bucky. There are something about dogs that always manage to put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Ashlynn!
    Hope your semester is going well! I love the pictures of your dogs, they are adorable! I have a great Dane and a German shepherd. They are both sweethearts! good luck in your pursuit in Law school as well! What did you think of the second season of you? Were you surprised at the ending at all? for me it was like come on Joe kind of moment. Love is literally perfect for you and you’re already looking again! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since it’s a joe kind of thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi AshLynn! Congratulations on your LSAT score!! That’s so exciting! May the rest of your waiting go by quickly! The Innocence Project does amazing work. Any kind of work that speaks up for the underrepresented sounds like it would be worthwhile. We have a lot in common! Your dogs are so cute! I already love dogs, but I also work with them, so it’s a next level appreciation. I’ve seen Gossip Girl so many times… I couldn’t even tell you how many. It sounds like you’re going to do many amazing things! Good luck with everything this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey AshLynn!
    I hope your final semester in undergrad is going smoothy so far. Congrats on your LSAT score, that is awesome that you've heard good news from 3 of the 4 schools you applied at! You and I have similar interests. I am finishing up my social work degree and hope to start the masters program this summer, I also want to give a voice to those who are silenced. I also enjoy leisurely reading and I am going to check out the trilogy you recommended! I am obsessed with This is Us, it is such a good show!! Good luck in law school!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi AshLynn,
    I am also graduating this spring. Congrats on continuing your education plans and achieving your goals. I eventually aspire to be a lawyer for first amendment rights for journalists. As someone who is graduating with journalism and has worked in the law field before I know the dedication behind it. I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors and hope you go after your dreams of becoming a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts