Storybook Plan

After engaging with Twine earlier today, I had two great ideas for "choose your own adventure" stories.

I would like to do one where the reader acts as one of the judges of the underworld and determine the fate of some souls who arrive there. This would give the possibility to incorporate stories about the judges from Myths of Greece and Rome, and the famous stories of souls being punished in Tartarus. For example the Danaides could be a "case" the reader has to decide, the original story flowing through choices of punishment, and a fun twist on the original through choices of mercy. I would like to include multiple "cases" but the total number will depend on the time needed to invest in each story in Twine and how easily I can bridge them.

The other type of story with this design would be in reference to the very famous story of the kidnapping of Persephone. Readers, acting as Hades, make choices about how to go about the kidnapping, this could provide cool twists to the original that could leave Hades in a very different place.

Two more stories about Hades I really enjoy are those of Pirtheous and Theseus, and his origin story with the battle of the Titans.

Overall, I am hoping to chronicle these stories, so his origin story first, then the kidnapping of Persephone, followed by Pirtheous and Theseus, and then the interactive "judgement of the dead" story as a sort of synthesis of his overall responsibilities and place of ruling.

Throughout my different steps of research, a reoccurring theme is that Hades is not evil, he is actually pretty altruistic and more passive in his portrayal. He is also determined to carrying out justice, holding all who enter his realm equally accountable for all their actions. I want to convey this message more openly in my stories. I hope to make the reader really understand Hades and thereby actively root for him, even though he doesn't always make the best decisions.

I am excited to start writing these stories, even though some of them will probably take a good amount of time.

Comments

Popular Posts