Topic Brainstorm: Which One Will It Be?

The first topic I am interested in is Ancient Egyptian Mythology. If you have read my previous blog posts, you'll know that this has always been an interest of mine and something I already know a little about. My research started with just a basic Wiki search for a list of Egyptian Deities. As of now, I think I want to focus on the major deities that I know some things about: Ra, Anubis, Osiris, Set, Horus, etc. I found another Wiki page (Egyptian Mythology) with a list of common myths and their meanings. I think this is a promising source because it gives ample stories and their importance to the culture. After diving further into this page, I think I would focus on either the myths about the End of the Universe, the Osiris myth, or the Journey of the Sun. There are many myths in all of these sub-topics and they are all central to the core of this religion. I am also interesting in the Underworld and the struggles that occur between those Gods and Ra, which is what is outlined in these stories.

The second topic I am interested in is Greek Mythology. This is also something I have some experience with and became very interested in when I was younger after playing Age of Mythology (something I would actually like to go back and play now that I'm older). After investigating on Theoi, I think I would like to focus on Mythic Bestiary and Heroes and Villains. Specifically the Hydra and Chimera stories with Bellerophon and Heracles. I think it would be fun to "remake" the Disney Hercules movie with these stories as a possible storybook. Another idea is to maybe form these stories as the show the Bachelor. Each hero is competing for the heart of a lovely Goddess.. with some fictional drama thrown in.

To expand upon my interest in Greek Mythology and to go in a different direction than my second topic, my third topic is focused on the Greek Underworld. I think my main focus would be on Hades, because I think many of his stories are interesting. A potential storybook idea could be a look inside Hades diary or maybe a more dramatic/comedic talk show, mimicking the great aspects of Ellen and Jerry Springer. I did another Wiki search on Hades and found some popular stories, his genealogy, and how he has been utilized in poplar culture. These can all act as a basic foundation before I explore further.

My last topic I'm interested in is Japanese Mythology, especially the main three divinities. This interest sparks from my enjoyment of the anime series Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. This show makes many references to Japanese Mythology and the more I encounter stories from this culture, the more I understand and realize the extent to these references. I am interested to learn more and see just how related the original stories are to the content of the show. Because of this previous interest, a possible storybook idea would be in the form of episodes from the show. However, another idea would be to just recreate the traditional stories with the characters from the show. From the UN-Textbook, I found three links to Wiki pages about AmaterasuSusanoo-no-Mikoto, and Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto. All of these pages outline their stories, their shrines, how they're worshiped and celebrated, and how they are interconnected to other Gods and Goddess. 



(Photo by Patricia Glogowski, Source:Flickr)

Comments

Popular Posts