Topic Research: Hades Will Rule All!

A word of caution to this tale.... (If you get my reference, you're my new bff.. if not, it's from the Disney movie Hercules.. because if he should fight, you will fail!)

(Source: Giphy.Com)

After my initial brainstorm, I thought that I would try to merge two of my topics into one, so I had more stories and ideas to work with. I thought I would focus on the two God's who rule the underworld: Osiris and Hades (Pluto). After a lot of reading, I became more interested in the stories of Hades than those of Osiris. There is such a wide range of stories and summaries of stories on Hades. He is also directly related to other God's I find very interesting. So instead of having a battle of the underworlds, I think I will focus on Hades and his connection to Greek/Roman Mythology.

I found two books (through FreebookapaloozaThe Mythology of Greece and Rome, by Otto Seemann and Myths of Greece and Rome, by H. A. Guerber. Both of these books outline the characteristics of Persephone and Hades as well as the realm they rule. They also explanation and summarize primary stories and myths related to the underworld, it's make up, and who rules within it. This is one way I could see myself going. Focusing directly on the underworld and its workings. Retelling stories of the Furies, the Three Fates, and of evil rulers and their punishments in Tartarus (Danaus, Sisyphus, Ixion, etc.).

I also searched Theoi.com and Hades page has lots of information into specific stories and where to find them. This is where I found my inspiration to focus on his relation to the Adventures of Hercules. The Disney movie combines Hercules 12 Labors and encounters with Hades which could be something I try to recreate, but not sure if I want to go there yet. However, the book Gods and Heros by Francillion outlines each of the 12 Labors if I do decide to go that route.

I haven't exactly decided which storytelling approach I want to take but have considered telling the stories from Hades perspective to put a twist on things. I have also thought about sending Hades to Therapy or a group session to tell his stories that way. I have also thought about incorporating my interest in law and telling stories about those who are judged in the underworld as a sort of trial with the Judges of the Dead.

So three possible stories: Something about the daily life in the underworld or a meet the cast of the underworld, Hades vs Hercules, and the trial of souls in the underworld.

Comments

Popular Posts