Learning Challenge: I need more jellybeans!!

I watched the video The Time You Have (In Jellybeans), and I initially felt overwhelmed. So much of our time is spent just doing things to keep us alive: sleeping, eating, grooming, etc. It is crazy how much time feels wasted doing these things. Not to mention how much time we will spend getting ready for, traveling to, and being at a career. When they showed the amount of "free" time you actually have... it was so much smaller than what you imagine.

After some reflection, I think that this is a really important video. It highlights the fact that it is important to do things you value and enjoy. Don't waste time in a job you don't like most of the time. Don't worry about the future when you could be enjoying the present. Maximize time spent with loved ones. You never know when someone is on their last jellybean.

I already knew that time is valuable and it is important to engage in maximization. I didn't realize just how little time we actually have to ourselves. I am curious to see how this video will shape my interactions with others and how I prioritize things. I am always willing to put my social life on hold to be sure I am doing all I can in school. I eagerly pick up more shifts at my job... that isn't too fun.. instead of doing things I enjoy. It is important to do all these things, but the balance of time is crucial too. I think a good thing to do is just reflect to yourself when you decide to engage in something. Is my time best spent reading this biology chapter or is it better to be at work saving for law school. Is it better to blow off that dinner date with a friend again or spend time outside walking your dogs. Should you spend time worrying about that upcoming test or actually be studying for it. I think this reflection can help guide the maximization of time as well as help produce a more enjoyable and satisfying life.

I thought this image fit well with this post. Taking everything a day at a time is the best strategy to doing the most with your day and tackling the obstacles you face.

Comments

Popular Posts