Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths Part A

Overall Impression:

I have been looking forward to this week of reading since week two when we outlined our readings for the semester. This mythology is so interesting and complex. I have read books modeled after some of these myths and have studied a few of the Gods and Goddesses, so I was curious to see how my previous experience aligned with some original myths.

I really enjoyed all these stories. Most of them were origin stories and detailed the history of specific Gods. Normally, origin stories can be rather boring or hard to read due to the outlining of families and aspects of nature, but these myths kept me engaged.

Likes/Dislikes:

I really enjoyed the utilization of emotion. The characters expressed their emotions in ways that helped the reader truly understand their intensity. The description of some internal thoughts and feelings also gave these stories a level of depth that was refreshing.

This is really the first story set that I've read where I have really felt a continuity of the stories. One lead to the next and it felt more like our typical reading of chapter books. This was a nice change because there were aspects of suspense and relief when moving from the different stories.

The language, while not difficult to read, simply felt older. It was a little confusing at times trying to follow conversations. In my retelling of these myths I will use more modern language as well as write distinct dialogue so readers can have an easier time moving through the stories.

Favorite Stories:

I really enjoyed all the stories in this section except the last two (The Wax Crocodile and The Green Jewel). Osiris, Isis, and Anubis have always been my favorite Egyptian deities and I look forward to retelling some of their stories this week. I also enjoyed the stories of Ra as he is the creator and established this mythology, he has certain character traits I'm not the most fond of however, so I don't think he will be my main focus.

(Image from UN-Textbook Egypt)

Bibliography: Ancient Egyptian Myths, from Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907).

Comments

Popular Posts