Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths Part B

Overall Impressions:

I have really loved this unit. All these stories feel connected and act like a saga. I feel less disjointed and a more unity throughout both sections. I also loved the background they gave in each story. It always established the characters and their relations as well as specific locations, which hasn't always been the case in prior readings.

Likes/Dislikes:

I enjoyed the trickster aspects in these stories. The tricksters were women however, so I am not sure if that speaks to viewing women in a good or bad light. I see it as a respect for the wit and cunning of women and not as them being treacherous or deceitful. This aspect of trickery was fin to read and added another level to these stories. It forced the main characters to be persistent and think outside the box on how to overcome the tricksters.

I also enjoyed the magical aspects or the fact that someone can gain strength or great power through the help of the Gods. Throughout these Egyptian myths, soils have been connected to aspects of nature and this allows people to live for long amounts of time. The aspect of immortality is always interesting.

Again, the language is a little older so it can cause some difficulty in the flow of the reading.

While powerful characters is enjoyable to read, it can sometimes feel too easy. These stories lack the aspect of struggle through battle, overcoming a great enemy and being greater because of it. However, I like that most of the battles in these stories focus on outsmarting the enemy instead of relying on brute strength. This is something we lack in our modern culture I think. Our stories focus on great heroes who will always win due to their strength or bravery, there are few popular heroes who rely solely on their brain.

Favorite Stories:

I really enjoyed all the stories in this section but my favorite would be the stories about The Two Brothers. There were aspects of tricksters, magic, strength, devotion to Gods, and love. It really encompassed all the things I have come to enjoy about myths.

(The Papyrus of the Tale of Two Brothers. Source: Wikipedia)

Bibliography: Ancient Egyptian Myths, from Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907).

Comments

Popular Posts