Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins Part B

Overall Impression:

I enjoyed how these stories were all interconnected. While each story is separate and gives the feeling of a collection of random stories, the overall story continues. This story within a story aspect has occurred quite frequently in the myths I have read over the past weeks. This style keeps the readers searching for the ending while enjoying tidbits of unconnected information.

I was looking forward to these stories and they turned out better than I expected them too. I had to really dig to find things I didn't really like about them.

Likes/Dislikes:

I really liked the ending. It was a twist that this creepy goblin actually was good the whole time. He helps and ends up saving the King because of the King's determination and willingness to cooperate with all his stories. I also enjoyed the twist of the Monk's character. We think he is kind and devout in the beginning but turns out to be a trickster. These character developments were unexpected and well done.

I also liked how the King was finally stumped.. as was I.. by that last story. It would have seemed too good to be true had he solved all the riddles with ease. I was also beginning to wonder how there would be an end if he kept solving all the riddles. I'm glad there was a happy ending instead of one ending in a head explosion...

Many of the names were the same, so I was trying to connect characters in stories that may have had no relation. Beautiful places or women had similar names, honorable kings and Brahmans had similar names as well, so it was a little confusing as to if they were separate people or if there was supposed to be a relation.

Finally, Part B did have some different story styles and it was nice to see more complexity. These riddles seemed more complex and dealt more with ethics and morals instead of tricky battles between people.

Favorite Stories:

My favorite stories of this section are Father and Son, Daughter and Mother, the Conclusion, and The Snakes Poison. These stories considered ethics and were more difficult to solve. The conclusion added a nice ending to the overall story and had some great plot twists.

While this image isn't from one of my favorite stories, it was my favorite image in this section. It really captures the story and makes you feel bad for the characters. It also kinda makes you laugh at their misfortune. 
(Image illustrated by Perham W. Nahl. 
Source: Wikimedia)

Bibliography: Twenty-Two Goblins Unit, translation of the Sanskrit Vetālapañcaviṃśati by Arthur Ryder. Full Text: Twenty-Two Goblins Book.

Comments

Popular Posts