Week 8 Reading and Writing

I took this opportunity to update my blog! I love the overall style, I just updated my banner photo and added a cute photo of my favorite pups. The beach is one of my favorite locations. It is so calming yet so full of energy and life. My banner photo is of one of my favorite beaches: Myrtle Beach in the Carolinas. I added the picture of my pups as this was a photo I just recently took. They like to snuggle together on my bed while I do homework!

As for the readings, I haven't found one I didn't enjoy. Reading is not my favorite activity, especially when it is related to school work as it is usually more dense and tiring. I didn't enjoy leisure reading for a long time until I finally found a genre and set of authors I enjoy. However, the readings for this class have kept my attention and I actually look forward to relaxing while reading these stories. I think my reading notes are helpful for me because it is a break down of my initial and overall impressions of the unit, but also breaks things down to specific likes/dislikes and aspects of individual stories. They have been helpful when I attempt to recreate a style of the original stories as well as during the brainstorming process.

I think my writing is slowly improving. Feedback has brought to my attention common errors I make. So structurally and grammatically I am improving myself. I think my voice and style are being shaped as well. I try to take on different approaches each week, but I have found some recurrent themes in my work that make me distinct. I really enjoy dialogue. I think it is the best way to really capture the complexity of a character's personality and emotions. I also like to twist the story into different perspectives, and in doing so, provide a deeper understanding into specific motivations.

Looking forward, I think the most important step for me will just be proof reading. I spell check, re-read and read aloud already, but some things still fall through the cracks. Another thing will be to continue to push myself to choose story elements I haven't attempted yet. It is easy to stick to what you know, so I look forward to trying some more difficult styles. I also need to watch my word count when writing stories I am excited about, especially in Twine. I can get lost in the characters and add too much detail or conversation that probably could be modified or left out.

I picked this image because it came from one of my favorite stories. I am an avid gossip girl fan so it was fun to take on the role. I think I did a really good job at capturing the voice of gossip girl while maintaining the original story of Myrrah. It was the most fun to write and I think it is my best story so far.

(Image by Snaevar. Source:Wikimedia)

Comments

Popular Posts